I am already aware of the heap of trouble I’m getting myself into by writing this. So no cursing me out after this post, okay? Pretty please? Also, don’t read this if you actually WANT to watch season two. Because my advice is you should not watch it. And I’m not joking. If you liked season one, do not watch season two because it will make you cry tears of anger.
My impression of season two of Black Butler: basically people loved season one that ended so beautifully and succinctly that we obviously needed to reopen the very much sealed can of worms and do another season. If a series ends as beautifully as that, we do not need another season. If we wanted more Black Butler, do a different kid with a completely different butler. As much as I love Sebastian, Ciel, and the rest, I was happy knowing that their time came to a perfect and beautiful ending.
Another reason season two exists: Ciel was never dressed as a pirate in season one. Also we needed Soma and Agni as Sherlock and Watson. And Ronald needed to make an appearance. Moments like these I found enjoyable. I’m not going to say the entire season was garbage because it did have its moments, like the costume party episode. And Sebastian posing for photos for Grell. BUT WE DIDN’T NEED AN ENTIRE EXTRA SEASON FOR MAYBE ONE EPISODE’S WORTH OF GOOD THINGS.
I’m doing the things I didn’t like in bullets because paragraphs are long. And these bullet points aren’t exactly in an order.
- The worst personality of the year award goes to Alois! He is a brat. Ciel is also kind of a brat, but Ciel is (A) surrounded by cray-cray people who bring in the hilarity and (B) is trying to work hard and do things about his life. Alois is surrounded by robots (Claude and those triplet people) and is too busy having a pity party for himself to try and change anything about his miserable life. I die on the inside every time I see an Alois cosplay.
- Back to Claude being a robot. The above GIF? Claude doesn’t exactly have the personality to pull that off. Other than the cray-cray obsession with Ciel’s soul and his brilliantly HORRENDOUS plan to do some soul merging. Because merging souls ALWAYS sounds like a good idea. I die a little on the inside every time I see a Claude cosplay.
- I die on the inside every time I see a season two cosplay.
- MEMORY WIPES DO NOT SOLVE PROBLEMS. YOU CANNOT JUST ALLOW SEASON TWO SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE CIEL ‘FORGOT’ SEASON ONE HAPPENED.
- No Pluto. Maybe it’s because I have an unnaturally strong love for dogs, but this made me very sad.
- Hannah. There are just no words. WAY TO SCREW EVERYTHING UP. ESPECIALLY WHEN AT FIRST I LIKED YOU AND THEN YOU HAD TO GO MAKE EVERYTHING CRAZY STUPID.
- The ending. WHAT WAS THAT?!? THAT WAS THE SADDEST MOST STUPID ENDING EVER. THAT’S NOT AN ENDING. THAT SOUNDS LIKE A REALLY BAD REASON TO MAKE A SEASON THREE. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE STORY LINE OF THE MANGA. NOT TO MENTION NO ONE ENDS UP HAPPY.
So I hated season two of Black Butler. Don’t watch it if you know what is good for you.