And I don’t care who hears me say it.
This post was meant to sing the praises of the new Captain Marvel comic, but instead I find myself burdened with the glorious purpose of tearing a rich white guy I don’t know a new asshole on the internet.
James Gunn, if you don’t know who he is, is the director who has been tapped to helm the upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe movie, Guardians of the Galaxy, due in 2014. He is also the author of this post, The 50 Superheroes You Most Want To Have Sex With. [trigger warning for that link: sexism, homophobia, general rage-inducing assholery] [Edit: He seems to have taken down the original post but you can still see a cached version here, thanks to nothing ever really going away on the internet.]
There is nothing wrong with being attracted to a superhero character. There is nothing wrong with wanting to screw a superhero. (I would be lying if I said I wouldn’t sleep with Batwoman, for example.)
But the way Gunn comments on the entries in his list makes him sound less like a respected director and more like an unwashed neckbeard who has never seen a woman outside of bad porn. Here’s a highlights reel of the commentary, care of tumblr’s othothegreat and buckycaps:
the art he chose in general, especially for the female heroes, is really gross and terrible, but here are a few more sexist, misogynistic, sex-shaming gems:
- “for those men that love rude bitches, [emma frost] the white queen is the way”
- [on natasha romanoff, the highest ~debut] “considering she’s fucked half the guys in the marvel universe, that’s quite a feat”
- [on elektra] she’ll “give you a nice, ninja-trained blow job”
- [on black canary] “i used to think she was the hottest chick in the dcu, but then i remembered that she fucks green arrow”
- [on dazzler] “a friggin’ great vagina”
- [on kitty pryde] “i want to anally do her”
- [on choice of art for jade] “i picked the one with the big tits”
- [on batwoman] “i’m hoping for a dc-marvel crossover so that tony stark can turn her; she could also have sex with nightwing and still be a lesbian”
- calls tigra ‘easy’ for no discernible reason along with calling stephanie brown that because she’s a single mother
- says that he’ll blow a load onto jessica jones’[sic: drew's] face so he doesn’t have to look at her
This same article also includes such charmingly puerile humor as calling Gambit a “Cajun fruit” and sharing his vivid imaginings of “my balls slapping against Gambit’s” which, he immediately points out, “makes me sick to my stomach,” just so you don’t get the wrong idea.
He goes on to make fun of Dr. Manhattan’s penis size, and then, ”Many of the people who voted for the Flash were gay men. I have no idea why this is. But I do know if I was going to get fucked in the butt I too would want it to be by someone who would get it over with quick.”
And he STILL manages to treat the male characters with more respect in general than the female ones.
Only a few months ago Joss himself was singing this guy’s praises when the news that Gunn would be directing Guardians of the Galaxy hit. Seeing how this is the way he thinks of the superheroes I know and love, and the way he denigrates and objectifies female heroes, mocks and demonizes queer attraction, and motherfucking SUGGESTS SOMEONE FUCK KATE KANE STRAIGHT EXCUSE ME WHAT? None of this is okay. I do not want to see any movies he is responsible for.
This movie isn’t coming out until 2014 so I think there’s still plenty of time for a turnover in the director’s seat. Let Marvel know your displeasure by tweeting #boycottgunn at their official account (@Marvel). I know that if Gunn stays in creative control, I’ll be taking my money elsewhere at the very least.
#boycottgunn #boycottgunn #boycottgunn #boycottgunn #boycottgunn #boycottgunn
(Update: James Gunn apologizes. Read our article about it here.)