So. It’s apparently Valentine’s Day or something. The lead up to this manufactured pink holiday has the unfortunate cultural side effect of shaming all the people who lack a significant other into feeling alone and miserable. Well, being single ain’t all bad. Here are ten of the most kick-ass folks in anime who don’t need no romantic interest to be awesome.
1. Mirajane Strauss Mirajane is the most badass single lady in Fairy Tail. She’s too concerned with keeping her family together and kicking ass in the name of the guild (either with or without her magical abilities) to worry about the long line of dudes (and ladies) that want to get with her.
2. Nathan Seymour a.k.a. Fire Emblem Fire Emblem is easily the most flirtatious of the Heroes of Sternbild’s Hero TV. But that doesn’t mean he’s pinned down. And don’t let his looks and playful personality fool you – he’s also the CEO of his own company and a powerful NEXT in his own right.
3. Sir Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing Integra has a lot on her hands. Stopping the invasion of London by thousands upon thousands of neo-Nazi vampires is one of those things. Keeping a leash on her bff/trump card/vampire servant Alucard is another, and keeping track of the silly human girl he turned is yet another. Add in the superviolent secret Iscariot branch of the Catholic Church trying to take out her organization under the guise of stopping the invasion, and really, she does not have time to deal with suitors.
4. Kurosaki Ichigo You would think that with all the girls Ichigo’s always rushing to save (no one’s saying Bleach is a paragon of feminist awesomeness) that he’d end up with one of them. But he seems to have other things on his mind (defeating Aizen, gaining, losing, and regaining powers left and right, etc.), so he remains happily single.
5. Olivier Armstrong Olivier (pronounced Olivia) Armstrong is more awesome than you can ever hope to be. She is a General, so she outranks you. She has kept the invading forces of Drachma at bay for how many years now in that brutally cold fortress in the bitter north? And if she can simply adapt and win when the world is literally breaking into its component parts around her, I’m pretty sure a little thing like being single on Valentine’s Day is none of her concern.
6. Heiwajima Shizuo Shizuo is a sweet guy with a bit of an anger problem. He definitely has his heart in the right place – he’s a great friend, a loyal brother, and a fierce defender of his turf. He’s just too busy throwing vending machines at Izaya to worry about hooking up.
7. Fujioka Haruhi Our first Haruhi could care less about gender labels, let alone societally-imposed celebrations of heteronormativity. She spends the entirety of her free time being surrounded (and often courted) by the most attractive boys at Ouran Academy, but all she really wants to do is get through high school so she can become a lawyer like her mom.
8. Hatake Kakashi He’s powerful and mysterious. He’s a sweet and loyal guy with a metric shitton of baggage. He was even Hokage for all of ten minutes (once, I think). And right now (at least manga-wise) he’s fighting the biggest baddie of the Narutoverse head-on. So maybe his singleness is a symptom of his inability to open up to others since Obito’s death. I think he may just have bigger concerns.
9. Suzumiya Haruhi This Haruhi is only interested in non-normal things. And we’re not talking like underwater basket-weaving or hot sauce on ice cream – she wants to meet and befriend aliens, telepaths, and time travelers. No normal people need apply. And when you’re basically God in the body of a wacky high-school girl, you don’t bother wasting time with significant others who can’t keep up with you.
10. Byakuran Depending on where you are in the series, Byakuran can be awfully loyal to Yuni, but she has no hold over his actual heart – he’s free for the taking (ladies and gentlefolks, wink wink). Just make sure to provide lots of candy. He loooves him some candy. But don’t be sad if he turns you down. Byakuran is the man who was almost king – of a thousand parallel dimensions. He arguably has standards higher that Haruhi Suzumiya’s.
I hope you enjoyed this walk through the awesome single folks of anime, and it’s helped you feel a little less forever alone on this day celebrating relationships. Happy Singles Awareness to all my fellow readers without a special somepony. ^_~
Ichigo just hasn’t met YOU yet.
Haha, he’s a sweetheart, but I’m more of a Byakuran girl. ;D
He’s pretty awesome as well…
Ichigo is still pretty good-looking. I picked a very flattering picture of him. 😉
I’m pretty sure you posted “Why so hot, Ichigo?” one day on your Facebook.
Kyoko from Skip Beat! probably fits in here too – once Sho dumps her she’s only interested in getting revenge on him and pursuing her acting career. Shurei from The Story of Saiunkoku (Saiunkoku Monogatori), who turns down three romantic suitors, and Riza from FMA may count as well.
I’ve never read/watched Skip Beat or Saiunkoku (although I’ve heard good things about both!) so I couldn’t include them… And I felt bad putting in more than one FMA character, although Riza is also awesome. 😀 Thanks for reading!
Pingback: Fanfiction Fridays: It’s Not Always About the Romance | Lady Geek Girl and Friends