As some of you may (or may not) be aware, Hollywood is in the midst of its award season. Between the Oscars and the Golden Globes (the biggest names), there is a lot going on. And there are plenty of reasons why we at Lady Geek Girl and Friends should care.
5. Nathan Fillion’s face in this picture as he helps Heidi Klum onto a table at an after party. Simply because it’s a beautiful face.
4. Award shows bring out the best in acting talent. And it gives the people behind the movies a chance to actually connect with the fans. I guess this was more important before everyone got Instagram and Twitter, but it’s nice to see them (especially since I don’t have Instagram or Twitter).
3. Adele’s Golden Globe win for Best Song for “Skyfall” demonstrates that action movies can be more than just action movies. Also see the first point for more elaboration.
2. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler hosting the Golden Globes. Unlike some of the previous award shows (remember James Franco and Anne Hathaway anyone?), Tina and Amy were really funny. And it was nice to see hosts that weren’t male. The ladies held their own and brought their A-game.
1. There are two types of movies in this world: the big blockbusters/moneymakers and the really artsy ones. Usually, the two don’t go together. For example, The Avengers which garnered $1.51 billion worldwide only received one Academy Award nomination while the biopic Lincoln garnered $166 million and is nominated for twelve Academy Awards. However, there are some rare birds, like The Lord of the Rings trilogy, that break the mold and win awards and dollars. It’s these movies in particular that bring attention to geekdom in more ways than one. If more people think geeky films are an art form, people will have more respect for the films and the ideas that inspired them.