I was excited to finally get a new episode Adventure Time with my favorite genderbent fanfiction females, Ice King’s Fionna and Cake. I was ecstatic when I heard Marshall Lee the Vampire King would finally speak (voiced by Donald Glover). As the episode went on I became less and less happy until I was just agitated, especially with Slime Princess’s suggestion of “What if there was a little more romance in the story?”Damn it Adventure Time, didn’t we already go over this?
Whenever I hear the word “epidemic” in conjunction with post-apocalyptic stories I assume “zombies”. This story does not have zombies but I still chose to write about it as one of my Halloween-themed posts because it’s awesome and the collapse of civilization is still a pretty frightening subject so I think it counts.
WARNINGS: I must warn for violence, a graphic almost-sex scene, and mentions of offstage sexual abuse. It’s rated M for a reason, this story ain’t kidding around, but I think these situations are handled pretty well by the author.
The story follows the four friends as they deal with the aftermath of a deadly black market drug which causes either death or animalistic homicidal rages in its users. The premise has a very 28 Days Later feel to it and definitely has some similarities to other pandemic films but it doesn’t feel unoriginal and Cerinity’s writing is strong enough to make the story very much her own.
I wanted to finish introducing Big Time Rush the show before posting any fanfiction about it but since those posts have been put on hold in favor of my spooky October posts I had to give up on that hope. Thankfully the story is fully AU so it doesn’t matter too much if the reader is unfamiliar with the show’s canon. CerinityKS has written a piece that I believe is complete on its own and doesn’t rely very heavily on the reader knowing the characters beforehand since they have new backgrounds anyway.
The story involves shipping, namely Kendall/Logan (my OTP) and James/Carlos but what I love is that it’s still a story independent of these relationships. It’s not just relationship drama, it’s a story that has relationship drama included. The story gives focus to these aspects but it’s not just one character yearning for another and then confessing his love at the end. Instead, it’s a very character-driven piece which I absolutely love.
What I’m saying is—and this is not a come-on in any way, shape or form—is that men and women can’t be friends because the sex part always gets in the way.
—Harry (When Harry Met Sally)
These iconic words from the romantic comedy When Harry Met Sally seem to be something that both the media and the fandom have taken to heart—and not just with heterosexual relationships.
It is a sad fact that in the media men and women are rarely just friends. There is usually some sort of attraction, sexual tension, or sexual relationship. This happens all the time: when two characters in a TV show meet for the first time, and one’s male and one’s female, it doesn’t take much to figure out that they will most likely end up in a relationship at some point in the show.
Today I had planned for you a glorious redemption of the Sonic fandom by finding a multi-chapter fic void of OC’s and with mostly correct grammatical syntax. However, after wading through about 10 pages of absolute shit I quickly discovered that this search was harder than finding the Holy Grail and that it wouldn’t be done in time for today. You’ll just have to wait until later. All is not lost, though! Today I bring you a fic from a series that even I don’t think really needs fic.
Today’s story is from Daria, and most anyone aged 20 and up knows about this series and how it essentially defined a generation with its scathing apathy and cynicism towards teenage life in the 90’s. Although there were certain flaws with the series (coughTOMcough), it’s as close to a perfect series as I’ve ever seen. My family actually gets together to watch the DVDs, and with our widely differing tastes, that’s saying something. Since the show relies more on a vignette format as opposed a legit continuous plot, it may be hard to figure out what aspects remain “canon” enough to include in a fic or what would stick with the characters but this fic uses this aspect to its advantage. A Pause in the Air by The Angst Guy separates itself into 10 different sections that are loosely connected, but gives enough time in between the “chapters” that the audience is not bored with mundane details. And really, this story is all about the mundane details in life that end up being not so mundane.
This story is set just a little bit after the events of the Daria movie with Jane and Daria being an actual couple. The first story takes place during a Thanksgiving meal at the Morgendorffer’s home. There’s obvious tension over the girl’s recent civil union however there is another surprise in store for the family. I feel as though if I say anything, it’ll ruin the experience so I’ll keep this brief. There’s nothing supernatural or anything too horridly dramatic (except in the second to last part): this story is all about exploring the facets of this relationship and how it impacts the families involved and in general the apathy and soul searching that comes during college. The Angst Guys’ story is very dialogue intensive, but he does a wonderful job of keeping all the dialogue in-character. I can hear the characters’ voices saying each and every line and it just makes the story that much more gripping. It’s a slice-of-life drama that’ll make you laugh, make you cringe and possibly bring a tear to your eye. But, it’s something that will stick with you long after you read it.
So. It’s apparently Valentine’s Day or something. The lead up to this manufactured pink holiday has the unfortunate cultural side effect of shaming all the people who lack a significant other into feeling alone and miserable. Well, being single ain’t all bad. Here are ten of the most kick-ass folks in anime who don’t need no romantic interest to be awesome.
1. Mirajane Strauss Mirajane is the most badass single lady in Fairy Tail. She’s too concerned with keeping her family together and kicking ass in the name of the guild (either with or without her magical abilities) to worry about the long line of dudes (and ladies) that want to get with her.
2. Nathan Seymour a.k.a. Fire Emblem Fire Emblem is easily the most flirtatious of the Heroes of Sternbild’s Hero TV. But that doesn’t mean he’s pinned down. And don’t let his looks and playful personality fool you – he’s also the CEO of his own company and a powerful NEXT in his own right.
3. Sir Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing Integra has a lot on her hands. Stopping the invasion of London by thousands upon thousands of neo-Nazi vampires is one of those things. Keeping a leash on her bff/trump card/vampire servant Alucard is another, and keeping track of the silly human girl he turned is yet another. Add in the superviolent secret Iscariot branch of the Catholic Church trying to take out her organization under the guise of stopping the invasion, and really, she does not have time to deal with suitors.
4. Kurosaki Ichigo You would think that with all the girls Ichigo’s always rushing to save (no one’s saying Bleach is a paragon of feminist awesomeness) that he’d end up with one of them. But he seems to have other things on his mind (defeating Aizen, gaining, losing, and regaining powers left and right, etc.), so he remains happily single.
5. Olivier Armstrong Olivier (pronounced Olivia) Armstrong is more awesome than you can ever hope to be. She is a General, so she outranks you. She has kept the invading forces of Drachma at bay for how many years now in that brutally cold fortress in the bitter north? And if she can simply adapt and win when the world is literally breaking into its component parts around her, I’m pretty sure a little thing like being single on Valentine’s Day is none of her concern.
6. Heiwajima Shizuo Shizuo is a sweet guy with a bit of an anger problem. He definitely has his heart in the right place – he’s a great friend, a loyal brother, and a fierce defender of his turf. He’s just too busy throwing vending machines at Izaya to worry about hooking up.
7. Fujioka Haruhi Our first Haruhi could care less about gender labels, let alone societally-imposed celebrations of heteronormativity. She spends the entirety of her free time being surrounded (and often courted) by the most attractive boys at Ouran Academy, but all she really wants to do is get through high school so she can become a lawyer like her mom.
8. Hatake Kakashi He’s powerful and mysterious. He’s a sweet and loyal guy with a metric shitton of baggage. He was even Hokage for all of ten minutes (once, I think). And right now (at least manga-wise) he’s fighting the biggest baddie of the Narutoverse head-on. So maybe his singleness is a symptom of his inability to open up to others since Obito’s death. I think he may just have bigger concerns.
9. Suzumiya Haruhi This Haruhi is only interested in non-normal things. And we’re not talking like underwater basket-weaving or hot sauce on ice cream – she wants to meet and befriend aliens, telepaths, and time travelers. No normal people need apply. And when you’re basically God in the body of a wacky high-school girl, you don’t bother wasting time with significant others who can’t keep up with you.
10. Byakuran Depending on where you are in the series, Byakuran can be awfully loyal to Yuni, but she has no hold over his actual heart – he’s free for the taking (ladies and gentlefolks, wink wink). Just make sure to provide lots of candy. He loooves him some candy. But don’t be sad if he turns you down. Byakuran is the man who was almost king – of a thousand parallel dimensions. He arguably has standards higher that Haruhi Suzumiya’s.
I hope you enjoyed this walk through the awesome single folks of anime, and it’s helped you feel a little less forever alone on this day celebrating relationships. Happy Singles Awareness to all my fellow readers without a special somepony. ^_~